Running Head First into the New Year

Happy new year!!! I hope everyone had a fantastic and safe evening and that you’re ready to take on a new year. My Dec. 31, 2011 was was one of the best and sweatiest days of the entire year, let me tell you about it.

The first adventure of the day was our weekly Team in Training long run, which was 5 miles. We started at Duniway track, headed downtown through the park blocks, turned down to the waterfront and then headed back to the track for 3 miles. We took a quick water break and then headed up and back down Terwilliger Blvd.


This was my first time running up Terwilliger and boy did it hurt. I think Jen put it best when she said she always wondered who those crazy people were who would run up it and now we are those crazy people. But we made it! I was trying not to push too hard on the run since I had a couple other physical activities planned for the day but my competitiveness got the best of me on the hill and I pushed myself to pass anyone I could see. The pay off was definitely the view.

Jen, some teammates, and I then hit up Suki’s to get breakfast. Amaretto french toast= delicious.

Next up was my once-every-six-months hair cut.

Sorry about showing up sweaty Tasia.

Then it was time to sweat all over my nicely done hair at soccer with Sped. We had no girl subs, which was exhausting fun and we won so that means we finish the last few months of 2011 without losing a game. Great job Sped!

To ring in the new year it was time to get sparkly. Jen, Karla, Christine, Anna and I went to a fabric store a few weeks ago to pick out colors so that we could make skirts and headbands to run in.

Shiny ladies!

We spent the first part of the evening having a pot luck dinner and playing Cards Against Humanity, which is like an adult version of Apples to Apples. Leslie gave it to Jen for her birthday, well done Leslie. There was also a bit of sparkly fun.

Jen crying from laughter.

Around 10:00pm we headed downtown for the First Run 5k and luckily got to hang out inside before the race because it was pretty cold out.

Bundled up and waiting for the (free) bus. I love you Portland.

The race started right at midnight.

Race face.

We told Karla that we thought she had a good chance of placing in her age group since she’s Fasty McSpeederson and she did not let us down. She finished in 21:59 which was good enough for 2nd in her age group (25-29)!

Karla speeding by.

I should note here that getting good race photos during the day is pretty hard, but getting good race photos at night is extremely hard. Plus, Rigel didn’t know how to turn the flash on on my camera so please don’t mind the very blurry pictures.

Next up was Christine who finished in 26:58. That’s pretty awesome for someone who didn’t train at all for the race and has never raced a 5k.

Good thing we were wearing sparkles which made us easy to identify.

I came in next at 28:19 which means I beat my goal of under 30 minutes. I wasn’t sure what energy my legs would have left after every thing I made them do earlier in the day so I’m quite happy with it. I definitely started out way to fast  and started to die after the 1 1/2 turn around, which is about when Christine passed me. I sort of just waved my arm in her general direction as a form of encouragement and hoped she understood.

I'm re-enacting my running since Rigel and I mised each other on my way by.

Jen and Anna kicked some ass at 38:25. Jen’s back was a bit tender (not also forgetting the 5 miles she did earlier) and this was Anna’s first race ever. So proud of them!

What Rigel expertly cut out of the picture is Anna pretending to shoot herself. Well done Rigel.

For Karla’s medal collect we made sure to dress her up.

Great job Karla! We expect an overall win next year. Get training.

We then tried to catch the but it was so full since it was the last bus of the evening that only Christine’s mom, brother, and his fiance fit so Karla, Chistine, Rigel, Jen and I walked over the river to my house.


I can’t think of a better way to have spent my new year’s eve, it was really a wonderful day that I got to spend with some of my closest friends. I’m also paying dearly for all of the exercise today. Everything is sore. My legs, my arms, my back, my butt. Everything. I also have quite the limp because I did something to my foot. What did I do you ask? Good question. I have no idea. My best guess is that I was walking weirdly after jamming toe (I stepped on the vacuum plug and tried to step back on my foot and jammed my toe into the ground, this is why I hate cleaning) and I angered something. I also have a bit of a swollen lip which came from Rigel accidentally smacking me in the face while trying to balance on my foam roller. I don’t know how I get so injured when I’m sober.

How was your new year’s eve?!


One thought on “Running Head First into the New Year

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s