I busted my foot on Saturday. No, it wasn’t while I was running 5 miles up Terwilliger, playing soccer, or running that 5k at midnight. No, I stepped on the plug to the vacuum with my left foot, tried to step back onto my right foot and somehow jammed my big toe into the ground and then flailed around for a bit. Somewhere in there I hurt my 5th metatarsal.
It didn’t actually start to hurt until a few hours later and I didn’t think much of it, but then it started to swell and bruise, which is never a good sign. So on Monday I hobbled to the doctor and got an x-ray, fortunately it was negative for a fracture. So woot for that. I am wearing this medically helpful ugly shoe.
It helps to distribute the weight evenly around my foot, which is good since when I try to wear my regular shoe it pushes up into the 5th MT and hurts like stepping on glass. So, now without further ado, confessions of a girl in an ugly shoe.
* I want to get some purple puffy paint to decorate the ugly shoe but I’m holding back because I don’t want the ugly shoe to stick around for long.
* The perfect shoe height to match the ugly shoe is my cowboys boots.
* I feel like an 80 year old when I walk around.
* The most annoying thing about the shoe is that sometimes rocks get stuck in the bottom and make this awful scratching noise. It’s like nails on a chalkboard.
* I miss running. (I know, I’m shocked too.)
* I’m jealous of people with 2 good feet.
* It’s taking a huge amount of effort to not just keep running on it. I have to keep reminding myself about that time I broke my clavicle for the second time and didn’t go to the doctor for 2 months and then it took over a year for the pain to go away. Remember M, that wasn’t fun.
* I hate having that guilty feeling when eating chocolate when I know I can run it off later.
Can I run yet?